Amazon

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Half-Breed Vampire by Theresa Meyers


The Half-Breed Vampire by Theresa Meyers is the third installment in her Harlequin Nocturne Sons of Midnight series. In this world, humans know about vampires.

My main issue with the story is that I was a bit confused, as I didn't know the mythology in the story--but it was easy to catch up. I would recommend, though, that you read the other two before the third if this kind of thing annoys you.

Slade Donovan only knows that he's a vampire. He knows he's having some kind of moon-sickness, but doesn't know the cause.  When he runs into a game officer, Raina Ravenwing, he's forced to save her to keep the human population from finding out about Were shifters. He uses his abilities to make sure she forgets the encounter and is sure he won't have to worry about seeing her again.

 No one is more surprised than he is when he's summoned to the commander's office and told he has to help Raina track a pack of wolves. Of course, Slade knows it's because the vampires don't want her hurt--she just assumes it's because he's their best tracker.

Slade's past is very mysterious.  He doesn't know how he came to be alone in an alley at age eight--but his full alliegiance is with the vampires that took him in and raised him. There is much he doesn't know that puts him--and Raina--in danger.

I enjoyed the story very much. Ms. Meyers has created a wonderful mythology and has added Native American lore that make the story intriguing. This reviewer will be reading the rest of the series.
The writing is tight and the pace is just fast enough to keep you turning pages to see what happens next. Her characters are believable and the story flows well. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more at the end--I felt there were questions left unanswered, but I have a feeling they will be answered in the next book--and please, don't take this to mean it was a cliffhanger. It wasn't.

I enjoyed learning more about Slade Donovan and Raina Ravenwing. If I care about the characters and what happens to them, then the author has created a very good book.

I will admit I'm biased toward Vampire and Shifter stories--I love them.  That bias, though, also allows me to know when one is done well--this one was. I loved it.

This copy of  THE HALF-BREED VAMPIRE was provided by the Publisher via Netgalley.
I'm a first-time reader of Ms. Myer's work, but certainly will look for more of her excellent series.

THE HALF-BREED VAMPIRE IS AVAILABLE ON AMAZON AND OTHER ONLINE RETAILERS

No comments:

Post a Comment